Monday, March 28, 2011

MIDI to CV

I read an interesting post CVC versus Midi - A Case Study at Haken Audio.

Presently the Eigenharp does not have a CV output (it does have an i2c port on the base station pro but it is not implemented).  However, Effective with EigenD 1.3.x there is a very effective ability to manage the MIDI outputs in great detail (including 14bit controllers).  So the topic of MIDI to CV is most interesting.

As you can see in the earlier post, one can send 14bit controller info directly to a Voyager but the case study at Haken is interesting. Using CC's to crete an envelope may not be an everyday thing but it creates some possibilities that are compelling.

So, rather than work directly with the voyager, I tried a little experiment with the MP201. The current SW has MIDI>CV and even the older SW has MIDI CC> CV expression. Importantly, the smoothing can be switched off. Perhaps more importantly, the MP201 can receive MIDI over USB and does not seem to mind high data rates

I wish I had the voyager patch used in the case study above to affirm my experiment but here is what I tried:

- using the factory MIDI>CV setup I changed channels 3 & 4 to be expression channels listening to MIDI CCs 70 and 71
- I patched pitch and gate as expected and CC70>Volume CV
- in EigenD I mapped pressure to CC70 (7bit, no decimation)

As far as I can tell, I can include the attack phase of the envelop on the Voyager handily.

Now, I'm not claiming this is a better solution than having CV on the controlling device but it *is* workable